Church of the Transfiguration on Mount Tabor
The highest place on Žižkov Square in Tábor is occupied by the Dean's Church of the Transfiguration on Mount Tábor, whose name refers to biblical symbolism. On Mount Tabor, near Lake Gennesaret in Palestine, a miracle of the transformation of Jesus took place as proof that Jesus was the Son of God. The church tower is visible from a distance and forms an integral feature of the city of Tábor.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Church of the Transfiguration on Mount Tabor
In the place of today's dean's church, a smaller, wooden church stood until 1440, when the construction of the current church began. Its appearance did not resemble a sacral building, but rather a secular one. The new shrine was definitely supposed to have a more dignified appearance, which the creators of the Church of the Transfiguration undoubtedly succeeded in doing.
In the second half of the 15th century, Master Staněk from the Lesser Town of Prague was called to Tábor to create a project and at the same time manage the entire building. Finishing work took place in 1512, when the three-nave hall was vaulted with a net vault supported by octagonal columns. A cellar vault was used in the presbytery, which does not occur so often in our environment.
The Church of the Transfiguration on Mount Tábor was built in the late Gothic period, as was the town hall in Tábor, which is also located on Žižkov Square.
The church underwent several alterations in later years, which can be seen, for example, on the Renaissance gables or on the Renaissance gallery of the tower or the Baroque dome, designed by the architect Giovanni da Capaulli. In the 19th century, Josef Mocker tried to restore the church to its original, ie Gothic, appearance.
The total length of the church is 46 m and the width is 26 m. A total of 250 steps lead to the gallery of the tower, after which the visitors will be offered a magical view not only of the city of Tábor, but also of its wide surroundings.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová