Kostelec nad Cernymi lesy Brewery
Under Jindřich of Kostelec, Černý Kostelec was promoted to a town, and this was accompanied by the granting of privileges and rights, which also included the brewing right. In 1558, when the estate was owned by the Smiřič family, there was already a manorial brewery in Kostelec.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Kostelec nad Cernymi lesy Brewery
In 1657, the town and the brewery caught a large fire, followed by its reconstruction. During the reign of Maria Theresa, the local chateau was rebuilt in Kostelec and at the same time the demand for beer, which the then brewery was unable to cover, was rising. In 1836, the brewery caught another fire, after which the operation of the brewery at the yard was not resumed in its entirety and a new brewery was built under the granary. Its capacity was then designed to be the largest brewery in the Kouřim region.
Between 1896 and 1898, the brewery was reconstructed and a steam engine and steam engine equipment were installed. The capacity of the brewery was increased to 72 hl and even before the outbreak of the First World War the brewery reached exhibitions of 25,000 hl. Beer did not stop brewing even during the war, although its maximum capacity was often used by only 5%.
During the Second World War, the production of the brewery was stopped in 1945, the brewery was nationalized on the first of January 1949, and within a year the communal enterprise Brewery of the town of Kostelec nad Černými lesy was created from it.
In 1977, the largest exhibitions were recorded, namely 62,650 hl. On June 3, 1987, the last batch was welded in the brewery in Kostelec. Until the end of 1992, the local cellars and cellars served the needs of the Velkopopovice brewery, and in 1994 the malting plant also closed. Later, the brewery and malt house were taken over by the city and the buildings gradually fell into disrepair.
Since 2001, the brewery has been taken over by the company "Give God Happiness", which has gradually returned it to the map of breweries.
At present, the brewery includes an extensive brewery museum with original equipment, such as a copper double brew set with a transmission drive, cooling drains, functional ammonia refrigeration compressors and many others. An exhibition area of 4,000 m2 is available to visitors. The excursion ends with a traditional Czech brewery restaurant furnished in the style of the First Republic.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová