Prague - Lesser Town
The Lesser Town in Prague was probably inhabited as early as the 8th century. At that time there were separate settlements Úvoz, Nebovidky, Obora and others. The city was founded by King Přemysl Otakar in the second year of 1257 and was originally called the New Town of Prague, and later the Lesser City of Prague and occupied a smaller area than today.
Information for visitors
Interesting facts Prague - Lesser Town
Between 1360 and 1362, the Lesser Town began to slowly expand, all the way to the Hunger Wall. The development of the town was then closely connected with the construction of the Judith (Charles) Bridge, which meant a connection with the Old Town, and along which the Royal Route also led through the Lesser Town. Gradually, orders, church institutions, craftsmen and merchants settled in Malá Strana. The official annexation of the Lesser Town to Prague took place on May 1, 1784.
Currently, the Lesser Town is one of the most visited areas in Prague. It consists of the development of historic buildings, church buildings, gardens and palaces. There are also the seats of both chambers of the Parliament of the Czech Republic, in Sněmovní Street and on Valdštejn Square.
Monuments and interesting places
The dominant feature of the Lesser Town is undoubtedly the Church of St. Nicholas, the work of K.I. Dientzenhofera. It is one of the most beautiful Baroque buildings in Bohemia.
An important place is also Nerudova Street, which was once the main access road to Prague Castle. The writer Jan Neruda lived in the house U Dvou sluncí, after whom the street got its name.
An important church monument in the Lesser Town is also the Church of Our Lady Victorious, which is one of the most important Baroque buildings in Prague. During the first half of the 17th century, Polyxena of Lobkowicz donated a statue of the Baby Jesus to the church, to which people from all over the world travel today.
Author: Andrea Štyndlová